Missing Wynyard Hall’s delicious, fluffy fruit scones as much as we are? Our talented Pastry team have put together a step-by-step guide to make your own tasty treats at home. This recipe makes 12 delicious fruit scones.
To make these scones, you will need:
225g Self-raising flour
50g Caster Sugar
1/2 tsp Salt
50g Unsalted Butter/Margarine
150ml Butter Milk/ full fat Milk
1 egg for glazing
Jam and cream for serving
Fruit Scone Recipe
- To begin, grease a baking tray and pre-heat your oven at 220c.
- Sift 225g of self-raising flour into a large mixing bowl.
- Add 1/2 tsp of salt and 50g of caster sugar to the bowl
- Rub in 50g of unsalted butter (or margarine) then begin to add 150ml of milk until it becomes a soft dough.
- Add 75g of sultanas.
- Knead your dough very lightly on a floured service to prevent sticking. Knead until smooth.
- Roll out the dough to about 1-inch thick. This is vital to ensure your scones rise perfectly.
- Cut into rounds using a 6cm cutter.
- When you have cut as many as you can, knead the remaining dough together, re-roll and cut.
- Place the scones on your greased tray.
- Beat an egg and brush the tops with the beaten egg.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes at 220c until your scones have risen and turned golden brown.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack.
- Enjoy your freshly baked scones with fresh with cream and jam.